Sunday, March 4, 2012

                Ah, the dreaded word..... running!  What is it about running that scares so many people? Is it the fear of pain maybe, or is it just laziness? We all know that exercise is highly important for our bodies and our future. So why is it that we procrastinate and put it off so much? Why do we continuously tell ourselves "oh I'll do it tomorrow" or "I don't have time for it"? Running and walking are two of the best things we can possibly do for ourselves. Even if we don't fully exercise, just spending a few minutes each day walking or running would be so much better than doing nothing at all. Recently I chose to quit smoking and start running, and I won't lie to you, I feel better about myself mentally, but not yet physically. Yes, it is difficult. Yes, it hurts, and I can't stop coughing (it's only been 2 weeks now). But I know that within 2 more weeks I will feel better than I have felt in so many years. It takes a certain amount of dedication and motivation to do something about your health, and it's not easy, but the feeling of knowing that you're doing something about it is truly amazing. You have to search within yourself and find that inspiration to do something about it. Inspiration is different for everyone, for some it's as simple as they want to feel better. But for others it takes something deeper to make that first step, like wanting to be around to watch their children grow or needing something to be proud of. You can definitely be proud of attempting to live longer and better.  So.... just a few reasons why we should start running or walking. #1) It's easy, you don't need any high tech gadgets or new equipment, just a decent pair of shoes and a little motivation. #2) It's hard, you can get a real feeling of accomplishment, and isn't that what we all really want, something to be proud of? #3) Your knees will thank you, as you run and as you lose weight it becomes easier to get around, it becomes easier on your joints when you remove some of the weight off of them, so ultimately running gets easier and easier the more you do it. #4) It can prevent disease, people, it can prevent cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, it even lowers blood pressure and raises good cholesterol, and it boosts immunity, so it helps fight viruses and colds. #5) You will most likely live longer and better because of it. I don't think that we need a better reason than that. Once you decide to take that first step (no pun intended) you will begin to feel so much better about yourself, it might take a little time and effort to start feeling better physically, but feeling better mentally will occur almost immediately. So if you will heed this advice and push yourself just a little bit you will thank yourself for it, your mind and body will thank you for it as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting on board. I must must must! I get hurting in my lungs from just carrying things.

    ReplyDelete